Dr. Joi Nunieh

NDDC Boss Promises ‘More Entrepreneur Ventures in Niger Delta’

… As Staff Cooperative Set Up Microfinance Bank

Acting managing director of the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC), Dr. Joi Nunieh, has applauded the vision and quality behind the setting up of a micro finance bank by the NDDC Staff Cooperative Investment and Credit Society Limited.

Speaking in Port Harcourt during the sensitization on the proposed micro finance bank, Dr. Nunieh, said one of the priority of the commission at this point in time is to ensure more entrepreneur ventures are set up in the Niger Delta region as a way to mitigate the effect of rising job insecurity in the country, stressing that as a body, there is no going back on the verification of all projects by the commission recently embarked.

She said in a bid to ensure accountability and justice, frivolous scholarship schemes initiated in the past had been stopped, hinting that from now on brilliant children from the catchment areas of the commission will be given opportunity in terms of scholarship, and not what happened in the past were children of the rich were given preferential treatment against the rule.

Nunieh further hinted that agriculture will top priority on the commission’s plans for the region, even as she restated her commitment to identifying with the vision of the NDDC Staff Cooperative Investment and Credit Society Limited and described the vision for setting up the microfinance bank as the first of its kind and a welcomed development.

She stressed that henceforth, the commission will ensure that communities where NDDC projects are cited take full responsibility in protecting the project, especially with the ongoing verification exercise.

The acting MD said that but for the intervention of President Muhammadu Buhari, the commission would have been dead, and vowed to stop at nothing to ensure that the commission is revamped no matter the level of blackmail and campaign of calumny against moves to reposition the body, as she solicited the help and cooperation from the people of the region.

Earlier, president of the NDDC Staff Cooperative Investment and Credit Society Limited, Mr. Franklin Essien, recalled that at the body’s AGM held on December 9, 2017 in Port Harcourt, hard decisions were made as regards the rapid transformation of the cooperative society to a world class organization.

He noted that part of that meeting was the proposal geared towards floating a unit microfinance bank within the Port Harcourt metropolis to serve as a springboard to generate economic opportunities for the teeming members and the active poor in our environment.

Mr. Essien said that based on that vision and the unanimously acceptance of the proposal, action for the registration and licensing of the one unit microfinance bank began with the engagement of consultants to evaluate the feasibility of the investment for achieving this task.

He added that the CBN, which is the regulatory body effected an upward review of the minimum capital requirement for the licensing of one unit MFBs in Nigeria from N20,000,000.00 (twenty million) to N200,000,000.00 (two hundred million). This, he said, regrettably slowed down the progress of the consummation of the project as cash flow then was not enough to meet the new capital requirement.

In his speech, the director, Finance Policy and Regulation at the CBN, represented by Mr. Mike A. Baba, assured of the apex bank’s support on the project, stressing that the platform, the NDDC Staff Cooperative Society Limited, if managed well will fly and described the vision as noble and achievable.

Share Post on

Check Also

ANLCA, MWUN, Others Threaten Shutdown over Port Roads, E-Call Up at Onne

By Paul Williams   Freight forwarders and truckers at Onne Port in Rivers State have threatened to shut down operations over the poor condition of the port’s access roads and the manner in which the e-call-up system recently introduced by the Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA) is being implemented.  Six associations operating at the port, along with the Onne Youths Congress, the umbrella body for youths in Onne Community, noted that despite the huge resources accruing from Onne Port, the access roads leading to the port had become a death trap.  The associations on Wednesday, August 12, 2026, issued a four-day ultimatum to the Federal Government and the Nigerian Ports Authority to suspend the e-call-up system until facilities such as loading bays are provided and dilapidated access roads are repaired.  Chairman of ANLCA, Onne Seaport Chapter, Chief Ifeanyi Isikaku, while reading a communique, expressed the associations’ deep concern and frustration over worsening operating conditions for members and the host community.  The unions said NPA rolled out the e-call-up system without first providing adequate holding bays, prompting “the unabated illegal parking of trucks on Onne roads that has choked traffic, damaged goods and exposed workers and residents to danger.”  They also described the port’s internal access roads as “deplorable” and a “death trap,” blaming the road condition for container-fall incidents, injuries and loss of life.  Isikaku said, “We can no longer tolerate unfulfilled NPA commitments and roads that endanger lives and destroy goods. If holding bays had been provided before the e-call-up rollout, this crisis would have been avoided.”  He pointed out that the situation is unfortunate for a port that has contributed up to N487 billion in Customs revenue alone to the federal coffers.  Isikaku said Customs revenue from Onne Port Command between January and July 2026 was approximately N439 billion, with an additional N48 billion from the Oil and Gas Free Zone — a combined N487 billion over seven months.  He called on the Federal Government, through the Minister of Marine and Blue Economy, to allocate a portion of that revenue to fix and maintain internal roads and port facilities.  “Onne contributes significantly to national revenue; a fraction of the N487 billion collected between January and July should be used to repair our roads and protect workers and the host community,” he said.  The unions, among other things, demanded an immediate end to illegal parking on Onne roads to restore free traffic flow, urgent maintenance and repair of all internal access roads to prevent container falls and safeguard lives, and a ban on members’ participation in arbitrary or bogus payments associated with the e-call-up system and port transport.  Chairman of the Maritime Union of Nigeria, Eastern Port, Uche Ogbu, whose union bears the brunt of the dilapidated roads, said, “Our members will not be compelled to make arbitrary payments for a system that lacks the infrastructure to work.”  He noted the unions’ resolve on the suspension of the e-call-up system from Monday, August 17, 2026, until adequate holding bays are constructed to accommodate current truck volumes; the suspension will remain in place until all listed challenges are addressed.  …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *