Gov Douye Diri

Food Security: Invest in Agriculture, Technical Education, Elders Council Tasks Bayelsa Govt


By Amos Odhe, Yenagoa

The Bayelsa Elders Council has urged the state government to make massive investments in agricultural development and technical education to recalibrate the economy of the state towards self-sufficiency.

It said the only way to overcome the looming food crisis is for government to be directly involved in crop, fish, livestock and other areas of agricultural production as the subsisting peasant farming could no longer meet the food needs of the people.

This was the position of the Elders Council at its third quarter meeting of the year, which held at the Niger Delta Wetlands Centre, Ekeki, Yenagoa, on Thursday.

In his remarks, Chairman of Council, Rear Admiral Gboribiogha John Jonah (Rtd), lamented the ever rising level of food prices in the state due to neglect of the agricultural sector and the attendant high dependence on external supply of foodstuffs.

He expressed worry why youths who constitute the most productive demography in society are shying away from agriculture which has the potential to meet their financial and feeding needs.

Rear Admiral John Jonah, who is the immediate past Deputy Governor of the state, explained that the meeting was to consider the reports of four adhoc committees on Agro-allied Matters, Security, National Affairs as well as Science and Technology.

He underscored the need for government to thoroughly appraise the reports when finally submitted to it, and emphasized the urgency for the government and well-to-do people of Bayelsa to go into full-scale mechanized farming to boost food production.

Responding, Governor Douye Diri said his second-term administration would give the desired attention to agriculture to fight against the high prices of foodstuff as well as enable government to expand its revenue base.

Represented by his deputy, Senator Lawrence Ewhrudjakpo, the Governor promised to adopt a multi-dimensional approach in tackling the problems facing food and fish production in the state.

According to him, the establishment of the Ministry of Blue Economy in the state speaks volumes of his administration’s readiness to harness the state’s maritime resources for job and wealth creation.

The Governor expressed optimism that the state government would succeed in its ongoing effort in promoting vocational education and self reliance, particularly among the youths of the state.

To achieve this laudable goal, he said government had already built some vocational schools across the state with Yenagoa, the state capital, having two pilot technical schools.

The Bayelsa Chief Executive, who lamented that the average Bayelsan youth had an entitlement mentality without work, pointed out that for the state to measure up with its peers, such youths must change their negative disposition and embrace self reliance.

He thanked the Bayelsa Elders Council for playing its advisory role in the governance of the state, adding that the doors of the prosperity administration were always open to the Council for advice and collaboration towards developing the new Bayelsa.

Highpoint of the meeting was the presentation of the adhoc committee reports.

Professor Francis Sikoki presented the report of the Agro-allied Committee; Science and Technology Committee by Engineer Charles Ambaiowei; Sub- national Affairs by Professor Tarila Tebepah, while that of Security was presented by His Royal Majesty King Bubaraye Dakolo.

Share Post on

Check Also

ANLCA, MWUN, Others Threaten Shutdown over Port Roads, E-Call Up at Onne

By Paul Williams   Freight forwarders and truckers at Onne Port in Rivers State have threatened to shut down operations over the poor condition of the port’s access roads and the manner in which the e-call-up system recently introduced by the Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA) is being implemented.  Six associations operating at the port, along with the Onne Youths Congress, the umbrella body for youths in Onne Community, noted that despite the huge resources accruing from Onne Port, the access roads leading to the port had become a death trap.  The associations on Wednesday, August 12, 2026, issued a four-day ultimatum to the Federal Government and the Nigerian Ports Authority to suspend the e-call-up system until facilities such as loading bays are provided and dilapidated access roads are repaired.  Chairman of ANLCA, Onne Seaport Chapter, Chief Ifeanyi Isikaku, while reading a communique, expressed the associations’ deep concern and frustration over worsening operating conditions for members and the host community.  The unions said NPA rolled out the e-call-up system without first providing adequate holding bays, prompting “the unabated illegal parking of trucks on Onne roads that has choked traffic, damaged goods and exposed workers and residents to danger.”  They also described the port’s internal access roads as “deplorable” and a “death trap,” blaming the road condition for container-fall incidents, injuries and loss of life.  Isikaku said, “We can no longer tolerate unfulfilled NPA commitments and roads that endanger lives and destroy goods. If holding bays had been provided before the e-call-up rollout, this crisis would have been avoided.”  He pointed out that the situation is unfortunate for a port that has contributed up to N487 billion in Customs revenue alone to the federal coffers.  Isikaku said Customs revenue from Onne Port Command between January and July 2026 was approximately N439 billion, with an additional N48 billion from the Oil and Gas Free Zone — a combined N487 billion over seven months.  He called on the Federal Government, through the Minister of Marine and Blue Economy, to allocate a portion of that revenue to fix and maintain internal roads and port facilities.  “Onne contributes significantly to national revenue; a fraction of the N487 billion collected between January and July should be used to repair our roads and protect workers and the host community,” he said.  The unions, among other things, demanded an immediate end to illegal parking on Onne roads to restore free traffic flow, urgent maintenance and repair of all internal access roads to prevent container falls and safeguard lives, and a ban on members’ participation in arbitrary or bogus payments associated with the e-call-up system and port transport.  Chairman of the Maritime Union of Nigeria, Eastern Port, Uche Ogbu, whose union bears the brunt of the dilapidated roads, said, “Our members will not be compelled to make arbitrary payments for a system that lacks the infrastructure to work.”  He noted the unions’ resolve on the suspension of the e-call-up system from Monday, August 17, 2026, until adequate holding bays are constructed to accommodate current truck volumes; the suspension will remain in place until all listed challenges are addressed.  …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *