Comrade Waite Harry

FG Not Doing Enough to Revive Eastern Ports ~ Waite Harry

Despite increasing efforts to ensure ease of doing business in the Eastern ports, national trustee member of the Maritime Workers Union of Nigeria (MWUN), Comrade Waite Harry, says the Federal Government is not doing enough to develop the ports in the region.

Waite’s comment comes as the Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA), concerned over the congestion at the ports in Lagos, has begun diverting some vessel traffic to other ports in the country, including the Eastern ports.

In a chat with our correspondent in Port Harcourt, Waite agreed that the Federal Government has laudable plans for the Eastern ports, comprising Onne, Rivers, Warri and Calabar ports, but argued that such plans are far from being implemented.

“The Federal Government has good plans, especially when we talk about the deep sea, Bonny, Warri and the rest of them. But one thing is to have plans, the other is the implementation. The implementation is not there.

“One can look at what is happening in this part of the country. I can tell you that the federal presence is not here. You can see the roads leading into the ports, the rail infrastructure and others.”

He argued that “some of the things that we are suffering in this area are politically motivated. You know that some of the states we have are PDP states, and not APC states. These are some of the reasons our parts are not well looked at.

“What we are seeing here cannot be seen in the Western parts. But because of some politically-motivated issues, they are not doing anything here,” Waite Harry said.

He was responding to claims that lack of funds might be militating against the development of the Eastern ports, as he stressed that the issues of politics should not form basis for considerations and decisions affecting the development of ports in the Eastern part of Nigeria.

“These ports are owned by the Federal Government. The throughput, whatever that comes from the ports goes to the federal purse. It is not for the states.

“So we should leave politics aside and look at governance for now. The days of election are over. We are talking of one Nigeria now, of things that can be done in the Eastern ports,” he said.

Waite Harry pointed out that the Federal Government needs to do more to ensure these ports have excellent berths, pilotage and security infrastructure, among others.

However, according to Mr. Martin Giadom, chairman of the Energy, Maritime Reporters (EMR), umbrella association of reporters in the South South region covering the energy and maritime sectors, “the Federal Government, through the Nigerian Ports Authority and the management teams in the Eastern zone have taken it upon themselves to change the narrative in this part of the country, and they are a significant difference.

“The volume of vessel and cargo traffic has increased as a result of this. Ships, with over 260 meters in length that were previously thought too large to call at the Eastern ports have started berthing here. These are among other positives that we are currently seeing now,” he said.

Share Post on

Check Also

ANLCA, MWUN, Others Threaten Shutdown over Port Roads, E-Call Up at Onne

By Paul Williams   Freight forwarders and truckers at Onne Port in Rivers State have threatened to shut down operations over the poor condition of the port’s access roads and the manner in which the e-call-up system recently introduced by the Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA) is being implemented.  Six associations operating at the port, along with the Onne Youths Congress, the umbrella body for youths in Onne Community, noted that despite the huge resources accruing from Onne Port, the access roads leading to the port had become a death trap.  The associations on Wednesday, August 12, 2026, issued a four-day ultimatum to the Federal Government and the Nigerian Ports Authority to suspend the e-call-up system until facilities such as loading bays are provided and dilapidated access roads are repaired.  Chairman of ANLCA, Onne Seaport Chapter, Chief Ifeanyi Isikaku, while reading a communique, expressed the associations’ deep concern and frustration over worsening operating conditions for members and the host community.  The unions said NPA rolled out the e-call-up system without first providing adequate holding bays, prompting “the unabated illegal parking of trucks on Onne roads that has choked traffic, damaged goods and exposed workers and residents to danger.”  They also described the port’s internal access roads as “deplorable” and a “death trap,” blaming the road condition for container-fall incidents, injuries and loss of life.  Isikaku said, “We can no longer tolerate unfulfilled NPA commitments and roads that endanger lives and destroy goods. If holding bays had been provided before the e-call-up rollout, this crisis would have been avoided.”  He pointed out that the situation is unfortunate for a port that has contributed up to N487 billion in Customs revenue alone to the federal coffers.  Isikaku said Customs revenue from Onne Port Command between January and July 2026 was approximately N439 billion, with an additional N48 billion from the Oil and Gas Free Zone — a combined N487 billion over seven months.  He called on the Federal Government, through the Minister of Marine and Blue Economy, to allocate a portion of that revenue to fix and maintain internal roads and port facilities.  “Onne contributes significantly to national revenue; a fraction of the N487 billion collected between January and July should be used to repair our roads and protect workers and the host community,” he said.  The unions, among other things, demanded an immediate end to illegal parking on Onne roads to restore free traffic flow, urgent maintenance and repair of all internal access roads to prevent container falls and safeguard lives, and a ban on members’ participation in arbitrary or bogus payments associated with the e-call-up system and port transport.  Chairman of the Maritime Union of Nigeria, Eastern Port, Uche Ogbu, whose union bears the brunt of the dilapidated roads, said, “Our members will not be compelled to make arbitrary payments for a system that lacks the infrastructure to work.”  He noted the unions’ resolve on the suspension of the e-call-up system from Monday, August 17, 2026, until adequate holding bays are constructed to accommodate current truck volumes; the suspension will remain in place until all listed challenges are addressed.  …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *